The launching ceremony of the first Multi-purpose Offshore Patrol (PPA), "Paolo Thaon Di Revel" was held today at the Fincantieri plant in Muggiano (La Spezia).
The godmother of the ship was Irene Imperiali, nephew of Admiral Paolo Thaon di Revel.
This PPA, the first of seven units, will be delivered in the 2021 and is part of the plan to renew the naval units of the Navy decided by the Government and Parliament and started in May 2015 ("Naval Law").
Technical features of the unit: PPA - Polyvalent Offshore Patrol boats
The multipurpose highland patrol is a highly flexible type of ship capable of carrying out multiple tasks ranging from patrols to rescue at sea, to Civil Protection operations, and, in its most equipped version, by a first-class fighter ship line. Different combat system configurations are envisaged: starting from a "light", self-defense patrol task, up to a "complete", equipped with the maximum defense capability. In addition, the unit is able to use fast vessels such as RHIB (Rigid Hull Inflatable Boat) up to a length of over 11 meters by side cranes or a slipway located at the far stern.
- 132,5 meters in length
- Speed beyond 31 knots depending on configuration and operating order
- 171 crew members
- Equipped with combined diesel and gas turbine system (CODAG) and electric propulsion system
- Ability to provide drinking water to the ground
- Ability to provide ground current power for a power of 2000 kw
· 2 modular areas at the stern and in the center of the ship that allow the embarkation of various types of containerized operational / logistic / housing / sanitary modules (in particular the stern area can receive and move in covered area up to 5 modules in ISO 20 container " while the central area up 8 ISO 20 container ")
The PPAs will be built at the Integrated Cantiere of Riva Trigoso and Muggiano with scheduled delivery for the first unit of the class in the 2021, while the subsequent ones will be delivered to the 2022, 2023, 2024 with two units in the 2025 and 2026.