The delivery of the Multi-purpose Offshore Patrol (PPA) “Paolo Thaon di Revel”, first of seven units.
The PPAs are built at the Integrated Shipyard of Riva Trigoso and Muggiano, with deliveries scheduled until 2026, and are part of the renewal plan of the operational lines of the naval units of the Navy, decided by the Government and Parliament and launched in May 2015 under the aegis of OCCAR (Organization for Joint Cooperation in Arms Matters).
Technical characteristics of the unit: PPA - Multipurpose Offshore Patrol boats
The multi-purpose offshore patrol vessel represents a highly flexible type of ship with the ability to perform multiple tasks ranging from patrolling with rescue capabilities at sea, to Civil Protection operations, as well as, in its most equipped version, from a former fighter ship. line. In fact, different combat system configurations are envisaged: starting from a "light" one, relating to the patrol task, integrated with self-defense capabilities, up to a "complete" one, equipped with the maximum defense capacity. In addition, the unit is able to use fast boats such as RHIB (Rigid Hull Inflatable Boat) up to a length of over 11 meters by means of side cranes or a launching ramp located at the extreme stern.
- 143 meters in length overall
- Speed up to 32 knots depending on the configuration and operational structure
- approximately 135 crew members and accommodation capacity up to 181 beds
- Combined diesel and gas turbine propulsion system, i.e. with electric motors for low speeds
- Ability to supply drinking water and electricity to land